Thursday, March 30, 2017

CENSORED!!


   Yes, I was censored for something I tried to post on-line.  Twice, actually.  Tripadvisor did it to me when I tried to post a review of a restaurant we had visited earlier this month in Boquillas, Mexico.

    The restaurant was Jose Falcon's and I even uploaded a snapshot of their menu to go along with my review post.  That's part of it above here.  But the menu photo was not the reason that my review was rejected.  At least I don't think it was.

    For the record, I have posted over 90 reviews to Tripadvisor and am proud that I consistently get helpful votes from those on the internet who read my reviews.  Last time I checked I had well over 150 helpful votes.  And, though the Tripadvisor censors did not explain exactly why my review was rejected, they pointed to a guideline that said the review had to provide helpful information so travelers could plan accordingly.

     So . . . they were saying my review wasn't helpful, even with a picture of the menu???  I had to review what I wrote.  I'd never had a review draft rejected by Tripadvisor previously.

      I had a feeling it had something to do with my sense of humor, which I try to apply in these reviews and of course here on my blog from time to time.  What happened is that we crossed the Rio Grande--legally by the way--to visit the small border village of Boquillas which is little more than a dusty street with a couple restaurants with a gift shop adjoining one of them, a saloon, some ramshackle buildings of various vintage and a few souvenir stands.

      We visited Jose Falcon's restaurant which is popular for its friendly proprietor and for its reasonably priced menu which features homemade chips and guacamole.  Delicious.  While we were there, however, a military vehicle rolled into town with serious-looking men dressed in Army fatigues, each carrying an assault rifle.  One particular fellow stood in the bed behind the vehicle cab,  holding his particular rifle as if he was expecting trouble.

       After the vehicle stopped, the soldiers got off and went to a couple nearby buildings.  Why they were there we didn't know.  But Wendy said that if they approached us and asked why WE were there, we should tell them we crossed into Mexico to collect for Trump's wall.

        It was my wife's attempt at a little humor and since it was topical, I included it in my review.  My guess is that's why the Tripadvisor censors rejected me the first time.  So I took out the anecdote, just leaving in the part where the soldiers rolled into town.  And that's when I was rejected yet again.

       WHAT!!??  I believe a posse of serious-looking and heavily armed soldiers possibly rolling into town, staring down  guests at the local diner ranks right up there with the freshness of its guacamole in the need-to-know department!!

        Frustrating.  But Tripadvisor doesn't pay me for my reviews.  The most I've ever received is luggage tags and a couple stickers but they haven't sent me anything in years.  The real reason I post reviews now is to add another pin to my travel map which is on my profile there.  And they put a pin in Boquillas even if they didn't publish my review.  So it's still all good.

       And maybe if some would-be traveler Googles Jose Falcon's restaurant, Boquillas and Tripadvisor, they'll stumble across this blog and learn the truth.  So there!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

How weird...being censored like that!

I never knew you worked for the CIA, Dave! lol

8:14 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LEE---Shhhhhhhh. I prefer to work incognito.

You know though, I did feel like I was in one of those movies where the main character has to check in at the border with a less than amiable immigration official. The Mexican official wanted me to fill out a form, but I'm hopelessly nearsighted and did not bring my glasses.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

hmmm, something similar happened to me but on a different kind of site! It was for a magazine for the Kroger chain (markets). They asked their invited members to add their blogs to their information. So I did as I was told and 2 days later, they told me I couldn't add mine because it was a personal blog.

Well, that's what they asked for! It's okay, but it does make one wonder, no?

10:02 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I added a comment here a long time ago! Wonder where it went????

Anyway-I have to say that sometimes I think whomever reads the reviews on some of these sites gets in a "mood" and reacts according to that mood!

I do many for Yelp-also not paid and have had one of them actually ask me "Do you work for this company?" I said no and why they'd ask that? It was just a 3 star review????

11:56 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Sorry Carine, I was out of town again and forgot to check my comment box to approve comments when I got back. Sometimes Blogspot makes me approve comments.

Thanks for both your comments though. It is somewhat heartening to know that I'm not the only one that has odd encounters with websites that post reviews.

I do know what you mean about being "in a mood." I was handed a cup of coffee at a McDonalds a couple weeks ago. The lid wasn't afixed properly and it promptly emptied half its scalding comments on my lap. Almost posted something to Yelp or Yahoo.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home