Monday, June 29, 2009

Foto Fun



My blog has a more visual look to it this week. I hope this doesn't upset my legions of fans (ha ha). I must have a fan club though evidenced by the pretty young model types infatuating over a blown-up poster of me (ha ha again).

More interesting is the following series of photos I took on a trip this past weekend to my parents' cabin in Alpena. We witnessed a dragon fly hatching, certainly a first for me. Tens of ugly bugs climbed out of the water and up a seawall where they, um, did their thing.

You can see the dragon fly emerging from its bug shell in a process that took probably a half hour or so. Then the little guys had to wait for their wings to dry and strengthen before they could fly off.

It did illustrate how fragile life is. A few dragonflies fell back into the water where they perished. Birds swooped in to take some more. And others just never managed to get airborne. And then they need to eat, ward off predators, avoid being stepped on, etc.

I told my wife Wendy that these bugs have to in effect physically deliver themselves, then teach themselves how to fly very quickly before heading off on their own. Imagine what it would be like if humans did that--pulled themselves out of the womb, righted themselves, then walked off after a little while to start looking for a job. I wonder about our youngest son who is living with us as he nears 24. Why can't humans be more like dragonflies.?

Or even like that deer in the last photo here. It's a fawn with his mother nowhere to be found. He's actually in the yard of my parents' cottage looking at me and Wendy inside through a window just a few feet away (my brother-in-law took this photo from next door).

While we wondered if the deer could make it without his mother, my sister opined, "He's okay. He's just dumb." Either that or just showing the naivete of youth. Can you spell v-e-n-i-s-o-n? Hopefully, he'll learn to hide better come hunting season.




























16 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Humans often forget how fragile life is. This reminded me of so many great times when our children were small and we would be down on our hands and knees watching some tiny miracle of nature with them.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

I really like the dragonfly pictures very much. What an exciting event to observe! It is a real treat to stumble across such a little miracle in nature, and yes, it makes me stop and think about the order of things. Not long ago, while on a nature hike, I spotted some flowers that were so tiny that they were almost invisible. I could hardly believe how tiny and apparently fragile they were. I got down on all fours and looked at them, then snapped some pix. When I stood up, my cousin was sprawled on his stomach on the ground to photograph a bee. Love it, love it!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Birth is a miracle in itself...Life is fragile and only the strong survive in many races, including our own......

We have a mama cat and her two little kittens living in our garage now.... They are so cute.

Good luck with that 24 yr. old....We had one like that and we finally had to tell him, it was time to move on...He did and he's doing well.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--And you wonder how many of our "ancestors" going way, way back had to survive in order for us to just get here. It does make you think.

LYNILU--My camera isn't the greatest, but there's a lot of photo editing sites that will make your picture look better than it should. Of course, it's always more amazing to witness events like this live.

LUCY--Our son is just staying with us for the summer until he goes back to school in the fall. You do get used to things when it's just the two of you though (the wife and I).

9:27 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

Pretty cool photos, Dave. I'm a visual kind of guy, so the more pictures, the better. In fact, I can't remember the last post of mine that didn't have pictures.

Somehow, I don't think The Missus would mind one of the girls living at home at 24. She could barely stand it when D1 went off to college.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the girls in the photo are trying to rip that photo off the fence and put it in its righful place...the trash.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I love the dragonfly photos and the deer Dave. I'm far from being a "bug" person (I'm the one known to scream and hide), but I do appreciate nature and the fragility of life. The deer's just darn cute. Although it did bring back the memory of my then 24 year old who had one of those little fellows commit suicide on his Audi....

5:24 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

FRED--I wonder if grown daughters are different from grown sons in that regard. I guess we'll never know, eh.

ANONYMOUS--No, they're putting the picture up on that fence. Can't you tell?

CARINE--My wife prefers the deer to the bugs too. She's always looking for deer when we're on the road up north. Me too, for the reason you mentioned.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come you're not wearing your "Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live" sunglasses in that photo???

1:06 PM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

I like your pictures. You certainly witnessed things I never have.

Your fan, Cassie-b

2:33 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ I just love the top Foto Fun shot! How really cool that is! ~ jb///

9:16 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--I am wearing those glasses. That little message is on the corners, so you can't see them (btw, I'm not a hunter, the glasses were cheap).

CASSIE--Awwwww, thanks. I'm glad I have one fan anyway.

LZ--Yeah, but one of my nephews upon seeing one of my photo compositions said that I have wayyyy too much time on my hands.

3:19 AM  
Blogger B.S. said...

I'm visually oriented also, like one of your other readers, so I always appreciate any visuals offered. These are particularly entertaining.

When I first started my blog in 2005, there were no visuals. When I started adding photos, there was a long period during which my blog was mostly photographic with little writing. Now I'm in a phase where I have nothing to offer either way, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

You, on the other hand, have such strong writing skills (or "skizzles" as my son would say) that photos are mere enhancement, like gravy for the endless meat and potatoes.

The dragonfly shots are amazing. Cute fawn, too.

Hugs,
Betty

6:49 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

BETTY--Thanks for the compliment. I wish my photography skills were up there. Then I wouldn't have to steal pictures from others for my blog. Of course, some of my writing ideas are stolen as well. What is it they say . . . good writers borrow, great writers steal. Something like that.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Did you ever get your plumbing projects finished? Maybe
call in a professional??
The photos are great - I read the other day a dragon fly lives 24 hours Hardly seems worth all that effort does it?
Thanks for your comments and the Wazza joke went right over Peter's and Warren's heads. Peter had an accident on a big bridge near Brisbane where Warren lives, so he stayed the weekend with Warren until he drove him home. No one was
hurt thankfullly, but Peter's car
only 10 1/2 months old was a mess.
He has it home now and can drive it
waiting for the new panels to arrive. He wrote about it last Friday on his blog.
Your Winter sounds a lot worse than ours. No ice to slip on, not
around the cities. Glad you liked the "Before I was a Mom".
Take care, my friend, Regards,
Merle.

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this was a PG-13 blog? Jeepers!!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home