Friday, November 07, 2008

Awwwww, over already?

After the longest and most expensive campaign in history, the election is over. Doesn't it make you sad?

I no longer go home to see my phone lit up with answering machine messages from various candidates. I no longer have to sort through all kinds of campaign literature in the mail to find bills and important stuff. I no longer get to see the same negative political attack ad over and over and over on television.

All in favor of a dictatorship instead of democracy raise your hand. I'm there.

Yeah, I got it from both sides. I have to give credit to the Obama people. They seemed to know that both my boys, who are still registered to vote in our home precinct here, would vote Democratic. And the Obama people also knew it would take a lot of nagging to get them to the polls. It sometimes takes a lot of nagging to get young people to do want you want them to do, right?

So I had several campaign workers from Obama's campaign knocking at the door or calling on the phone, trying to reach my two sons, neither of whom actually live at home right now. On Sunday when I explained their circumstances to a Democratic volunteer, she said she would scratch my name off their list so we would not be bothered anymore.

Five minutes later an Obama volunteer called on the phone! Again trying to reach my sons! Well, they did finally get hold of Greg on our phone. I mean the law of averages were in their favor. If they kept calling our house enough they were bound to find him visiting us sooner or later. And they did finally, right on election day.

But the GOP are no slouches either when it comes to bugging people. My work e-mail has been inundated with various Republican pitches for this candidate or that one. And ALL of them come with a request for money (I've never contributed as much as a dime to any political candidate). Towards the end of the campaign I was receiving several e-mails a day. How they got past my spam filter I don't know. And how they got my work e-mail address I don't know either. I blame a disgruntled co-worker for giving it to them.

I could usually quickly spot and delete these partisan pitches from my in-box but towards the end they were getting clever. Instead of getting an e-mail from some Republican or GOP website, it would be a real person who was sending me an e-mail, subject "Urgent: Four Days." Thinking it might be an upcoming work deadline, I would open it hurriedly only to find it to be about the election. And another pitch for money.

So now my inbox is cleared of anything having to do with campaigns. The postman at home only delivers the usual amount of junk mail. There are no messages awaiting for me on my phone at home. I can eat dinner in peace without a knock on the door.

Oh, oh. Wait a minute! What's this in my inbox here? It's an e-mail with the subject title, "Not over Yet." Let's see what it says . . .

"Thanks to your critical support our Senate firewall held up against a tidal wave of liberal attack ads and the Obama Get-Out-The-Vote machine. But the fight goes on ... as three Senate races have yet to be decided. Please donate $25 today . . . "

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

17 Comments:

Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I too wrote about the election Dave. Fortunately, we didn't have as much in the way of phone calls as you did until the last week. Nosy people those pollsters.
thankfully no one asked me for money.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went out and bought a new machine about a month ago I got so sick of all those calls. right at the bad times of the day too! Don't miss them at all. I would say by the calls left on my machine we got more McCain calls than Obama..Granholm said Michigan would go democratic awhile back and by golly she was right.
DID YOU SEE HER all smiling there behind OBAMA today?? I wonder if she is headed for a position on his cabinet.. crazier things have happened. I am so happy that Palin woman is gone back to her seat on the snowmobile with her hubby where she belongs.. what a piece of work she was.. :)

8:55 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

After this, a benevolent dictatorship sounds good. It doesn't even have to be too benevolent.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

After this, a benevolent dictatorship sounds good. It doesn't even have to be too benevolent.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

I'm so very glad it is over. I love the quiet. These past few days have been so peaceful!

Shhhhhhhhh.

11:19 AM  
Blogger B.S. said...

I am STILL being pestered by Obama volunteers who STILL want money! For what?? Am I being called upon to help Obama bail out Wall Street now?

One of the requests did offer me a "free" Obama sticker if I send money!

I'm still afraid to answer my phone.......the recovery process is going to be long and arduous.

Hugs,
Betty

3:40 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sorry Dave, I'm still or freedom. No dictatorship Period! I hope the "voice of America" didn't elect one.

Actually I am glad that the calls and emails are over, but the worry for our country is still there.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--I got yet another request for money today in an e-mail. I'm going to have to fine tune my spam blocker, I think.

CAROLDEE--Did you hear Granholm being touted for Supreme Court justice if a spot becomes open? Somebody passed on that rumor.

JAN--All right! Now we just have to find a benevolent dictator.

LYNILU--Hopefully we'll at least have time to take a breath before the campaigns start again.

BETTY--I know my youngest son gave money to Ron Paul when he was in the thick of things. Don't know if he contributed though to Obama.

LUCY--Yeah, we're worrying especially here in Michigan with the problems in the auto industry.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAve.. those throws you can buy at BED BATH AND BEYOND are large and pretty heavy. Sis says she would like them to be less furry and thinner. Havent seen one from the TV ads on sale anyplace, but we are looking still. Buy one get one on tv ad, sounds like they are pretty thin and lightweight to me. I went back to my robe and slippers! LOL

10:31 AM  
Blogger Kel-Bell said...

I got all the e-mails and calls too. I volunteered for the Obama folks, and when they gave me a walk list, I found that I was going to houses that some other volunteer had already been to that same morning.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

I didn't send anything to the GOP and you didn't send anything....I guess Obama won because George Soros sent so much by way of untraceable Walmart Cards. I'm really wishing that now that the Dems have elected a president....everyone will shut up for another three and a half years. I have election fatigue.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We lucked out--have an unlisted number and email address. And I live so far out of town, no one bothers me knocking on the door. But yes, I'm glad it's over.

--Deb

11:36 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CAROLDEE--I'm a sweatshirt and sweatpants kind of guy. I don't even own a robe.

KEL-BELL--An Obama volunteer you were? You don't look familiar so I'm guessing you didn't do any canvassing in my neighborhood.

KACEY--Me too, election fatigue. At least the yard signs disappeared quickly. Sometimes I see them for months afterwards on the side of the roads.

DEB--You're lucky. I live right in town and my e-mail address and phone numbers are public. I think these politicos have ways of getting your info even if it's semi-private. They're clever that way.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Hopefully nobody will ever elect another Bush again, though they already have their kids primed for the next wave of power, greed, and corruption.

2012, the Bush grand-kids are over 35.

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay....you managed to pull a smile from me.
Hey, if nothing else, those campaign people were like dogs with a bone. I should know.....I worked my tail off for Obama.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now let's see what happens.


cas

11:29 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

It may be over, but the fun just begins. I'm still getting emails at work and home.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home