Tuesday, May 30, 2023

To Work Or Play

 So I'm waiting in the drive-through line at Wendy's—strawberry Frosties are back!--but there are about four cars in line ahead of me before I get to the drive-through menu board where they can take my order.


It's a very slow-moving line. One car ahead of me gives up and pulls away. I'm a senior with more time on my hands. I can wait. But it's probably another 10 minutes or better before I get to the machine. Then a voice from the other end told me, “I'm sorry, we're closed for the next hour. I have no staff.”


Anyway, I went to Dairy Queen instead. But this worker shortage is wearing on me. I went to my local grocery store, getting in a shorter line, which was good since I just had a few items, but the clerk told me, “Sorry I'm closed.” That left just one lane open and I had to stand behind a woman who probably took five minutes just to unload all the groceries from her cart. And the clerk waiting on her was close to my age. And, like me, not moving all that fast.


To paraphrase the lyrics of a song, “Where have all the workers gone? Long time passing.” At least younger workers, the ones with quicker minds and quicker hands.


Dealing with more senior employees does have its advantages. My wife and I enjoy a daily cup of Tim Horton's fresh-brewed coffee. It's somewhat of a luxury but I cut out any coupons I run across to make it less of a luxury. Yesterday I handed the drive-through clerk my Tim Horton gift card as well as a coupon which brought down the price of a cup of coffee to a dollar.


This clerk was definitely middle-aged, maybe beyond, and the oldest of the working staff there. Before handing me the coffee, she returned my gift card to me, and the coupon as well. Wasn't she supposed to keep the coupon? Oh well, maybe it's one of those coupons you can-re-use. And I did re-use it today when I got our coffees.


It was the same clerk taking my order as yesterday. And this time she did keep the coupon.


Maybe it's time I re-joined the workforce myself and helped our local business community. But then, I might not have that extra time to film an audition tape and submit it to ME-TV to become the next “Spawn of Svengoolie” to be featured on the Svengoolie horror movie show.


I in fact did submit an audition tape which was broadcast on Svengoolie just this past week. Here's a photo cut from the show. Yeah, that's me.


Pretty crazy stuff, huh. Especially for a 70-year-old. Now, should I rejoin the workforce too at my age? Nah, I'm not that crazy.


3 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Hahahahahaha! And I thought...no, I know...I'm crazy. Now I know I've got a mate! lol

You have more patience than I have, Dave. Things are bad everywhere it seems. I've just arrived home from doing an early run (by car) to the shops this morning. One of the shopkeepers made comment that the world has gone crazy. I agreed with him. Where will it all end!!!!

Take good care. :)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

ROTFL! Oh Dave, we feel your pain! We have a problem here in "Podunk, AZ" w/ staff shortages as well.
My question is: How are these people who aren't working still have a place to live and food to eat????
And those remaining are overworked and probably underpaid given how much more they have to do and put up with

9:34 AM  
Blogger Big Dave said...

LEE--I suspect that many of our fellow seniors feel like we do. But I've come close to running out of patience. I believe you have much more patience than I do. I think my wife will back me up on that, so far as she knows me.

CARINE--I feel bad for the workers in low-paying but high pressure situations. I know the price of our daily Tim Horton's coffee continues to rise, but if the workers who hand me my coffee are paid more because I paid more, I'm all for it.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home