Sunday, July 25, 2021

Back With Our People

 Speaking of bed times (which is where I ended a blog a couple months ago) recently after a pizza party with all the grandchildren, my four-year-old granddaughter Gwen announced that she was planning on staying up late. At my age, I was almost ready for bed myself. So I asked, “How late are you staying up?”


“Lots,” she responded. That's sounded as vague as what my other grandson said when I asked his bedtime (He said he goes to bed “at some point”).


But our St. Louis family has now gone home after their summer visit here and we don't have to worry about grandchildren keeping us up past our own bedtime. I will miss Gwen's wry humor. For example, for one dinner my wife Wendy made a wonderfully delicious meal that incorporated chicken, zucchini, garlic, corn starch, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and various spices.


“What do you call this?” I asked my wife.


“It's chicken,” Gwen interjected matter-of-factly.


Now, with Wendy and I being the sole occupants of our house again and with Covid restrictions easing in our state, we're venturing out to more group activities that include our fellow senior citizens. Being vaccinated, our major worry now is not the virus but whether we're going to be required to wear masks where we go. Though masks are not required anywhere in Michigan, you still see people wearing them everywhere.


Wendy did encounter a sign when she entered the local post office stating that masks were required but another customer going in at the same time told her they weren't required there. He did add that if you go into a bank wearing a mask, hat and sun glasses, you may be asked to remove the hat and glasses. A few years ago it might have been the reverse. Such a changed world we live in now.


So we attended our local senior citizen center's annual summer picnic which had been canceled last year. We brought masks just in case but few if any people were wearing them. What was nice about this picnic was that the food was provided free by a local memory care and assisted living center. Seniors like us enjoy the free stuff.


The nursing home administrator, a cheery fellow who said he enjoyed getting out of the office for this event, sat at our table. He explained that the boxed lunches which included macaroni salad, turkey mini-sub sandwich, snack bag and cookie were prepared by his chef. I felt he was doing a little pitch for his employer as he dined with us.


In fact, when the picnic was wrapping up, he said to those at our table, “I hope to see you at the center soon.” That was a bit jarring. I know some of us have aged as we've hunkered down during this pandemic, but did we really look like we were on the cusp of needing nursing home care? A gentleman at our table asked this question directly to which the administrator said he meant that he hoped to see us all at the senior citizens center.


“Thanks for clarifying that,” responded the gentleman who asked the question.


I felt thankful as well.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Out of the mouths of babes! They give so much joy.

Out of the mouths of nursing home administrators! They are not welcome and are certainly a rude wake-up call! lol

Masks have been mandatory here again for the past couple of weeks. Hopefully, that ruling will lift within the next couple of days.

I entered my local newsagency last Wednesday. Mask on face, I waved my waling stick in the air as I declared. "This is a stick-up! Hand over your ATM machine!" :)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Big Dave said...

LEE--No mask mandate here in Michigan yet but where my son lives in St Louis they brought back mask mandates. And my son said NOBODY is happy about it.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

I'll be glad when the masks are lifted. Not only is there the possibility of suffocating wearing the damn things...but when wearing glasses to read the small print etc. on products you can't see because they fog up!! lol

3:47 PM  
Blogger Big Dave said...

LEE--I HATE when my glasses fog up. I've heard there's some concoctions you can put on the lenses to keep this from happening but I'm not quite frustrated enough to go there yet.

Michigan still has no mask mandate but many other states have been told they need to resume mask-wearing.

I have an eye doctor appointment in a couple weeks. Maybe I should ask about it.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

since I tend to still wear a mask-given my rather precarious health of late-I find myself being rather on the testy side. I haven't felt like myself in so long I'm not even sure just what "myself" is anymore.

Right now the grands are still allowed to go "unmasked" to class (older grands have had the vaccine since DD takes them traveling so much) but that seems to be a day to day decision.

No one knows anything anymore and I'm sick of the whole thing-I'm sure I'm NOT the only one.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Big Dave said...

CARINE--Our grandkids are too young for the shots though my sons say they will be vaccinated when it's approved for those under 12. Who knows what's going to happen with masks and schools, particularly with the Delta variant taking hold in Michigan?

We still keep masks on hand though we rarely put them on. We did on a bus tour this past Saturday though. It was strongly suggested we do so.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home